Understanding Open Badges
Open Badges provide portable and verifiable information about skills and achievements. Individuals can unlock opportunities by sharing collections of badges representing desired skill sets in a dynamic, evidence-based way.
Open Badges represent legitimate, authenticated achievements, described within badge and linked to the awarding organization.
Individuals and organizations who accept badges and offer opportunities in exchange, play a critical role in the ecosystem. Through this process Open Badges can be turned into new collaborations, jobs, internships, and richer connections between lifelong learners.
Things you can verify and explore in a badge:
- Details about the organization issuing the badge
- What the individual has done to earn the badge
- The criteria that the badge has been assessed against
- That the badge was issued to the expected recipient
- The badge earner’s unique evidence (optionally included)
- When the badge was issued and whether it has expired
Get Started with Open Badges: Thousands of organisations around the world are issuing Open Badges. Discover how you can start issuing badges or earning your own.
See developer section for details of how applications access and read the metadata within badges.