Open Badges Services and Software
The Open Badges ecosystem is built on an open specification implemented by many applications and services. This open structure allows different issuers, earners, and consumers to freely use available resources and contribute to the work. Effective January 1, 2017, the Open Badges Specification, will continue to evolve under the stewardship of IMS Global Learning Consortium, who will provide ongoing open governance with inputs from the community.
Listed below are a number of platforms and applications using the Open Badges Specification. Here you can find services, software, and technical partners to help you start issuing Open Badges.
Contact us if you have an Open Badges service you would like to be included in this list.
Acclaim partners with recognized brands to issue badges employers value.
- Provides a range of services to allow credential issuers to design, deliver and support recognition for professionals.
- Connects professionals to learning experiences and career pathways through clear communication and validation of skills.
- Utilizes robust reporting features to ensure credentials are relevant and well-received in the job market.
- Backed by Pearson, the world’s leading learning company. See how it works here and sign up here.
Contact: Clark Porter, Vice President, Pearson VUE
Badgecraft offers a multilingual platform to manage any achievements using Open Badges.
- Learning providers can easily set up their badge projects, create and issue Open Badges, assign roles to users (e.g. owner, manager).
- In progress: Badge issuers can define quest-based criteria, type of evidence and assessment.
- Badge earners can display, share and download their Open Badges.
- Trusted partners are constantly adding new languages with the help of integrated translation tools.
- Features of the platform are developed in close cooperation with learners, learning providers and employers.
Contact: Nerijus Kriauciunas, CEO & Co-Founder
Badge List helps you collect and validate learning evidence and award Open Badges to your learners, all without setting up servers or software.
- Badge List helps you quickly create an online learning group, where you can build a collection of Open Badges representing important skills. Each badge can have a custom rubric, which defines the evidence required to earn it.
- Learners are able to submit evidence in a simple blog-like online workspace. You can provide feedback on each piece of evidence they offer. When a badge is awarded, the learning evidence is automatically linked to the Open Badge, helping provide valuable context about the learner’s achievement.
- Badge List is mobile-device compatible and completely cloud-based, so you don’t need a server or any software to use the platform. Badge List is free for public groups and small private groups.
Contacts: * Hank Ryan Thompson, CEO & Co-Founder, Knowledgestreem * Ben Roome, Chief Product Officer & Co-Founder, Knowledgestreem
BadgeOS™ is an operating system for fostering engagement and recognizing achievement. Available as a powerful free plugin to WordPress that integrates with Credly to award Open Badges, BadgeOS lets you create, organize, and assess activities, reward achievements, and issue badges as participants succeed.
- Create and manage a complete constellation of badges and activities, easily defining an unlimited number of achievement types and how they relate to one another.
- Choose from a growing set of built-in and add-on assessment types and badge and achievement triggers including: expert review of submissions; peer nominations; quiz and test score results; verified interaction with third-party resources, such as open educational materials; completing a sequence of steps; using claim codes; and other automatic triggers.
- Extend your system with add-ons for rewarding a wide range of community contributions, tracking and analyzing engagement, or integrating with open source learning management systems.
- Free support available for getting started with BadgeOS, including webinars on badge system design.
Contact: Hope Kandel, Director of Partnerships, BadgeOS
BadgeSafe™ for Canvas LMS is a badge issuing application developed with Canvas APIs by Accreditrust. Badges are maintained within the Canvas UI. Users may export their badges to a Mozilla Backpack.
- Supports hosted, Canvas.net, Free-For-Teachers, and Open Source solutions (Open Source code not published but is available upon request. Open source users are required to supply their own Canvas API Key. Only Canvas GitHub builds newer than August 2013 are supported.)
- Fully integrated badge system – issue badges by course, module, and assignment. Independent views for teachers and students, as well as administrator controls.
- K-13: Badges are displayed only inside of Canvas; for those over age 13, export badges to Mozilla OBI-compliant systems.
- Get started here.
Contact: Eric Korb, President & CEO, Accreditrust
Badgr is an open source badge issuing, management, and user achievement tracking platform. Hosted accounts are free on badgr.io, and source code is available for free on GitHub.
- One account to issue badges, receive and share them, and explore the world of Open Badges.
- Issuers may define and issue Open Badges to students, staff, or users. Use the fast web interface or connect Badgr’s powerful API to your application.
- Authorize multiple users to award badges on behalf of a single organization.
- Badge Recipients may import baked Open Badges from any platform that issues them. Users organize and share collections of Open Badges.
- Users may check the validity of any Open Badge issued to someone else.
- Expressive API for integration into your application or website. Custom development contracts available.
- Integration with the Canvas LMS to award badges automatically for completion of modules in Canvas courses and MOOCs. All courses on CanvasNET are integrated with Badgr by default.
- White labeled hosted installs and custom open source enterprise setup available at a low cost.
Bestr is a proprietary badge issuing platform developed by CINECA and is the Italian contact point for Open Badges.
- Includes connections to learning resources for given badges and endorsement by employers for badges. This service is offered to employers and training providers to design and issue Open Badges. Free for learners.
- Integrates with social media.
Contact: Simone Ravaioli, CINECA
CanCred Factory is a secure cloud service for organizations to issue trusted Open Badge eCredentials. It is built on the same innovative technology as Open Badge Factory but is hosted in Canada by Learning Agents, an award-winning Canadian edtech service provider. This means CanCred Factory is fully compliant with Canadian privacy laws and we’re laser-focused on the needs of Canadian badge issuers and building vibrant Open Badges ecosystems in Canada.
- Unlike many other systems, CanCred Factory is specialized on helping organizations create, issue and manage Open Badges. A sister platform, CanCred Passport, enables individuals to store and share Open Badges. This “open connection” between the two key functions of issuing and sharing badges provides both organizations and individuals with greater flexibility and power.
- Current features include: user role management (admin, creator, issuer); account verification for Premium users, milestone badges; badge application forms, links to hosted evidence, scalable badge issuing networks, integration with a long and growing list LMSs, an open API and LTI compatibility for future integrations; and extensive reporting features.
CanCred Factory is offered by subscription at three service levels: Free, Basic and Premium. See details. You can try it out for free at the Premium level for 60 days.
Contact: Don Presant, President, Learning Agents
Canvabadges let you award badges to students in courses based on their total grade in the course and completion of course modules. You can also put a manual approval step that requires your final sign-off before they receive the badges.
Contact: Brian Whitmer, Founder of Instructure
Credly is a complete, one-stop platform for recognizing achievement. You create, issue, and manage badges, while Recipients curate, display, and share them on social and professional networks, the Mozilla Backpack, and elsewhere.
- An end-to-end credential and badge management system for Issuers and Recipients.
- Everything you need in one place. There’s nothing to host and no other tools are needed.
- Issued badges, badge Assertions, and evidence files are secure and always available to recipients.
- Features include identity verification, institutional branding, one-click, and bulk issuing, plus the ability to share badges on social media and personal or professional sites.
- You can also issue badges via WordPress, Drupal, and other apps and platforms or tap into the Open Credit API to integrate credentials and Open Badges into your own apps and sites.
- Publicly available platform for free, plus webinars and support for badge system design.
- With a low-cost Credly Pro account, you can also issue badges from popular systems like Eventbrite, Salesforce, and MailChimp.
Create an organizational account to get started.
Contact us for support or free Identity Verification for Badge Alliance members.
Contact: Jonathan Finkelstein, CEO, Credly
ForAllRubrics is the rubric and badging platform for teaching and learning that’s free for teachers. Go to the ForAllRubrics blog to read 13 Reasons to Use ForAllRubrics as Your Badging Platform.
- Create, organize, and share basic badges with your communities, or explore more advanced badge design options for standards alignment and for self- and peer-issued badges. System administrators can manage learners and their badges.
- ForAllRubrics can support your efforts to build a badge system for your communities or a badge platform for your organization.
- ForAllRubrics includes iOS and Android apps for issuing badges offline, and is free for teachers, with paid options for school and district administrators.
Contact: Karen Jeffrey, Founder & President, ForAllRubrics
Makewaves is a learning environment that provides social media for education. Young people can take part in fun missions created by high profile partners, earning badges and rewards.
- Makewaves for Schools: a simple and safe solution for schools to create and manage Open Badges across a school campus. Makewaves for Schools enables teachers to create and share badges with groups, track progress, award badges, and celebrate achievement. Students can browse a public badge library and direct their own learning. Organizations can use Makewaves to reach thousands of schools with their own badge programs, enabling them to run competitions, measure impact, and showcase student work.
- Makewaves Custom: integrate Open Badges into your website or develop your own Open Badges community. Makewaves can help define a badge strategy and support its rollout. Makewaves Custom offers flexible and scalable solutions based on your organization’s short- and long-term badging strategy.
- Free version includes training and support for any school to create three badges and issue unlimited badges from other educators at makewav.es/join. For platform builds used by WWF, Trinity College London, and others, see makewav.es/openbadges.
Contact: Mark Riches, CEO & Co-Founder, Makewaves
Moodle is an open source learning management system (LMS) that offers Open Badges natively. Badges created in Moodle may be displayed on a user’s profile or pushed to their Open Badges Backpack. Public badge collections from the Backpack may be displayed in users Moodle profile.
There are two categories of badges in Moodle: * Site badges - available to users sitewide and related to sitewide activities, like finishing a set of courses. * Course badges - available to users enrolled in a course and related to the activities that happen inside the course.
For account queries or other issues, email support.
NOCTI and NOCTI Business Solutions
NOCTI and NBS utilize the same badging foundation but serve two different customer groups. NOCTI provides a customized platform, along with guidance and consulting services for the implementation of badging projects of any scale. Its niche is workplace learning, assessment, and industry credentialing. NOCTI provides psychometric, development, graphic design, assessment, and badge delivery. Technical competence and digital badging go hand-in-hand and NOCTI provides individuals the capability to share competencies on social and professional networks, the Mozilla Backpack, or on résumés.
NBS provides a customized platform along with guidance and consulting services for the implementation of badging projects of any scale. Its niche is employee assessment and recognition, trade association credentialing, and prior learning assessment. NBS also provides psychometric, development, graphic design, assessment, and badge delivery.
- Overall consultation regarding badging benefits and alignment to company, association, or institutional desires. Tailored contracts to fulfill identified needs.
- Availability of the following services as needed:
- Design or development of assessment rubrics Standards development assistance
- Validation and/or metadata assistance (national, statewide, local)
- Custom graphic assistance (commercial artist on staff)
- Secure and reliable hosting of badges, Assertions, and evidence
- Individual account establishment
- Badge analytics
- External integration using a secure API
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Hosting of existing badges
Contact NOCTI for a no-obligation discussion of your needs or for a list of current clients.
Contact: John Foster, CEO, NOCTI
Open Badge Factory
Open Badge Factory (OBF) is a cloud service developed and hosted by Discendum, a Finnish eLearning service provider.
- OBF offers organizations a flexible and secure platform for designing, creating, managing, and issuing badges. It also offers an extensive reporting system so organizations can monitor how their badges are being used.
- Current features include: milestone badges; evidence uploads to OBF server; user role management (admin, creator, Issuer); simple badge creation and issuing interface; integration with Moodle, Mahara, and TotaraLMS, as well as open API for third-party plugins; extensive reporting features.
Contact: Eric Rousselle, CEO, Discendum Inc.
Open Badge Academy
Open Badge Academy provides an end-to-end badge discovery, evidencing and display service.
- Organisations can create their own academy to launch badges into the public library or their own dedicated space
- Track progress through badges and review and assess evidence via a built in assessment workflow
- Individuals can evidence badges on the move via mobile and build up a sharable badge profile
- Professionals can verify skills by leaving evidence-based endorsements
Peer 2 Peer University Badges
P2PU Badges are free, open, and community-driven, featuring badges from Mozilla, Wikimedia, Creative Commons, and the National Writing Project.
- Peers identify skills and share feedback on learning projects. Learners can share their badges on Twitter, Google+, and embed as an iframe.
- Feedback and support available from the P2PU crew.
- Additional assistance and consulting options are available.
Contact: Vanessa Gennarelli, Learning Lead, P2PU
ProExam Vault provides Issuers with a flexible, cost-efficient means of creating, issuing, managing, and tracking digital badges and Recipients with an intuitive, powerful platform through which they can claim, manage, and share their digital badges.
- Fully optimized for mobile and desktop access.
- Issuers can issue badges via API, bulk upload, or directly to an individual.
- Recipients have an unmatched array of options for sharing and displaying digital badges via email, social media, and professional sites.
- Robust analytics give Issuers critical insight into the behaviors and preferences of both Recipients and Consumers.
- The publicly accessible badge verification page updates to reflect changes in a digital badge’s status. (i.e., valid vs. expired)
- Hiring organizations can validate the authenticity of a digital badge, as well as the Recipient’s identity against a unique identifier (such as a certification or license number).
Contact: Martin Brutosky, Vice President, ProExam Technology
RedCritter is a comprehensive recognition platform promoting employee and/or student engagement through the use of powerful game mechanics including badges, certifications, skill tracking, virtual currency, and leaderboards.
- Free customizable and graphically rich profiles for showcasing achievements.
- Free mobile apps for viewing and issuing achievements for all mobile operating systems.
- Robust administrative options to create, customize, and configure recognition tools.
- Streamlined teacher solution to enable quick and easy recognition of students and easy integration with Google Classroom and Office 365.
- Flexible strategies for distribution of achievements including NFC, voice recognition, automation with existing systems, and mobile.
- Instant provisioning and free 30-day trial for all plans.
- Advanced analytics and reporting.
Learn more about RedCritter’s Enterprise solution at redcritterconnecter.com.
Contact: Dan Hoffman, Director of Business Development, RedCritter
TopClass is a comprehensive learning management system from WBT Systems that offers enhanced social learning capability for association, continuing education, corporate training, and certification programs. Badges can be created to easily evaluate engagement, track progress, and recognize achievement.
- Create Personalised Badges
- Setup Criteria to Automatically Award Badges
- Manually Award Badges to Users
Badges created in TopClass may be displayed on a user’s profile or pushed to their Open Badges Backpack. Open Badges from the Backpack may be imported and displayed in a user’s TopClass learner profile, which incorporates social sharing. Badge status can be checked for validity and expiration. Badges in TopClass can be awarded for participation, such as engaging with discussion forums, or to recognize achievement of set goals, such as completion of an online activity, course completion or attainment of certification.
Learn more about TopClass learning management system at www.wbtsystems.com.
Contact: Gilles Defer, VP Sales and Marketing, WBT Systems
Youtopia - use digital rewards to get students to go the extra mile. Whether you’re a school, Greek organization, non-profit, or business, you can customize Youtopia to fit your needs.
- Create activities that align with your curriculum goals, including Common Core State Standards. Set goals and build badges to easily evaluate engagement, track progress, and recognize achievement. Build custom reports that seamlessly connect with student information systems, enabling data-driven decisions at the classroom, school, and district level.
- Other services offered by Youtopia include badge system design consulting, professional development, LMS/SIS integration, and live support.
- Freemium and premium offerings for any size class, school, non-profit, or after-school program.
Contact: Simeon Schnapper, CEO, Youtopia
Open Source Issuing Software
A number of the above issuing platforms have released the underlying code as open source software. This allows partners to collaborate on the applications themselves, increase control over operations, and potentially reduce costs paid for subscription services. The tradeoff is that issuers who host their own platforms take on the responibility for maintaining the badges for their useful lives.
Standalone Badge Issuers:
- BadgeKit: Currently unmaintained open source Issuing platform published by Mozilla: See openbadges-badgekit and badgekit-api
- Badgr: Issuer platform and Backpack service available open source from Concentric Sky: Badgr-server
Open Source Plugins and Integrations:
- BadgeOS™: Open source plugin for the WordPress platform that integrates with Credly’s Open Credit API. Published by Learning Times, the makers of Credly: BadgeOS
- BadgeSafe: The source code for the BadgeSafe server that integrates with the Canvas LMS is available upon request.
- Moodle: The Open Source Learning Management System includes Open Badges awarding within courses. See: Moodle
Open Badges may be baked into image files that can be posted anywhere on the web, but in order to unlock their metadata and verification status, it’s necessary to use an application that understands the Open Badges specification as part of the process. Badge recipients use Backpack services to store their badges and share them so that the consumers of these badges can understand that they are more than a simple image file. There are at least three compatible Open Badges Backpack services available.
Each Backpack service that appears in this list allows users to upload Open Badges they have earned from any Issuer and share displays of those badges with others. Additionally, the developers of each of these solutions regularly consult with other Badge Alliance members to advance the concept of an Open Badges Backpack Service and ensure core features remain in sync across the ecosystem.
Open Badges Backpack Services:
- Mozilla Backpack - collects, manages, and displays badges from multiple sources anywhere on the web. Also available open source from Mozilla: [openbadges-backpack].
- Open Badge Passport - a free, easy to use service, where you can receive and store your Open Badges safely and share them with whomever you like and wherever you like. Open source code is released by Discendum: Salava
- Badgr - an open-source badge issuing, management, and user achievement tracking platform. Hosted accounts are free on badgr.io. Open source code is released by Concentric Sky: Badgr-server.
- CanCred Passport is a free cloud service for Open Badge eCredentials owned by individuals. CanCred Passport is provided as a more flexible and robust alternative to Mozilla Backpack and is compliant with the Open Badges Specification. CanCred Passport is the default destination for Open Badges issued by CanCred Factory, although users can easily redirect their Open Badges to Mozilla Backpack.
There are several other functions around Open Badges discovery that help wire the ecosystem together.
- Badge Alliance Directory Prototype - This Open Badges storage and retrieval system is an open source community project, whereby any Issuer of Open Badges can register to have them indexed.
- Credmos - Finds Open Badges that recognize learning, achievements, competencies, or credentials to earn with its search box or tag cloud.